Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Welcome!

First, about the name.

8/9/08 was the day that my world was rocked. I was doing a 55-mile training ride in preparation for an up-coming 24-hour mountain bike race with a friend (more about my riding "habit" later). We met that morning at my house and rode to Sierra Peak in the Santa Anas. We combined some road riding and dirt trails on the way there. It was going to be a five to six hour hard effort.

The ride was mostly uneventful. I was on my Giant XTC-2 hardtail. It was a good push. During our descent to Blackstar Canyon Road, partner Tim ran out of water. We still had about seven or eight miles togo so I was doing a recon for water as we headed back.

As we passed Irvine Lake, a local fishing spot, I glanced at the entrance to see if there were any sources of water. Seeing none, I quickly returned my focus to the bike lane and saw a gray pickup literally about a foot away. I saw the right front fender pass dangerously close... and then nothing.


Three days later, I awoke in the Western Medical Center Neurological Intensive Care Unit surrounded by the doctors, nurses, my wife and my family. I never got this much attention on the podium after a race! Apparently my accident had caused a subdural hematoma with diffuse axonal injury, commonly referred to as a Traumatic Brain Injury. In more simple terms, I had a severe concussion with bleeding and some swelling.

I was connected to an IV drip, oxygen, and to several sensors monitoring my condition. Being the rebel that I am, I ripped all of the leads out. This move was not received well by the hospital staff.

My speech was slow and deliberate as I struggled to find the correct words. As soon as I was conscious and able to respond, a physical therapist had me up and working out on a stationary bike. During my first bike "interval", my wife, Mary Ann, and the therapist were at my side. My vision was blurry and I started blindly pushing buttons on the exercise cycle. The therapist looked at my wife, wondering what I was doing. Mary Ann had seen me on a LifeCycle before and knew exactly what I was doing: I was inceasing the resistance. She then called me a "Show off!" Head bump or not, if I am going to be bored out of my mind on a stationary bike, I wanted to make it worth my while.

The past several months have been a trip! I am back on the bike and I am training for my next race. I wanted to share my story and my experiences.

This will be my first race since 8908.

No comments:

Post a Comment